Avery is a small community that was named after George J. Avery, its first postmaster.
The first post office was established in 1885, closed in 1943, and re-established in 1949. Avery is located on State Route 4, about 4 miles below Arnold with an altitude that is below the heavy snow line.
Avery is home to the oldest continually operating hotel in the county, the Avery Hotel Restaurant & Saloon. It was built in 1853, and was known as the “Half Way House,” being located between Murphys, Arnold, and Calaveras Big Trees State Park.
Important for the area is Avery Middle School, which serves about 411 students from 6th grade up to 8th. It’s one of three schools in the Vallecito Union School District.