Camp Connell CA Area Overview
Camp Connell was first used by Native Americans thousands of years ago. Its location on San Antonio Creek was along a trading route between bands of Miwok, Piute, and Washoe.
The discovery of gold in the Mokelumne and Stanislaus River basins in 1848 led to large numbers of prospectors and adventurers. The famous route – Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway or Hwy 4 – between Murphys and Carson City became famous when the Calaveras North Grove of Big Trees was discovered in 1852. Not long after that, the area of Camp Connell became a junction of roads between Sheep Ranch and San Andreas and was a favorite stopping point and rest area on the route.
In 1929, Jack Connell built the Camp Connell Store to cater to high country vacationers, complete with gasoline station, general merchandise store, rental cabins, and a campground. Camp Connell quickly became a stopping place for travelers along the Ebbetts Pass Highway, as well as a gathering place for local residents and cattlemen.
The Camp Connell General Store remains a popular stop for visitors and the heart of the Camp Connell community — serving as a cherished gathering place for locals. It is one of the oldest Chevron stations in California as well as the longest continuously operated retail business between Murphys and Markleeville.